Brandywine Hundred Fire Company
Site
Community Events
  • There are currently no events



Holiday Safety Message
Email Print RSS Facebook Twitter RSS

By Vice President Debra Finocchiaro
November 27, 2020

As the winter holidays are upon us the Officers and Members of Brandywine Hundred want to remind the community that keeping your home and your family safe is the best gift of all. Just a few simple tips to ensure a happy and fire-safe holiday season:

** Check Your Smoke Detectors To Ensure They Are Operational. **
If you are in need of a new smoke detector please contact the station immediately (302) 764-4901. **

HOLIDAY DECORATING:
Choose decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant
Consider using battery operated candles instead of real flame candles
Never leave lit candles unattended, do not place lit candles near decorations, home furnishings, or heat source
Live trees should be fresh and placement of tree in the home should be at least 3 feet away from any heat source
Tree should not be blocking an exit such as a door or window
Check the water in the tree stand daily, as live trees need adequate water
Never leave a lighted tree unattended

LIGHTS:
Follow manufacturer's instructions for the number of light strands you can safely connect together
Use lights that have a label or designation of a recognized testing laboratory.
Never use candles on a tree
Ensure light cords are in good condition, check for cracked or frayed wires along with broken bulbs
Never overload an electrical outlet or power strips and limit the number of extension cords
Some lights are only approved for indoor or outdoor use; verify the use of lights prior to installation
Unplug lighted decorations when you are not home

COOKING:
Keep children and flammable items away from stovetop when in use
Never leave your cooking unattended, have a responsible adult in the kitchen at all times while cooking
Exercise caution when handling hot food or liquids such as grease
Keep oven mitts, food packaging, kitchen towels, etc. away from your stove top area
Keep children and pets away from stove top area
Never use water to put out a grease fire

Pets:
Water from the tree stand can be dangerous if ingested by your pet
Chewing on the needles of a tree can cause serious damage to a pet's digestive tract if swallowed
Ornaments, lights and tinsel if ingested can cause blockages or toxicity
Curious pets may chew on the electrical light cords which can cause burns
Seasonal plants such as poinsettias are poisonous to pets if ingested
Fire starter logs for fireplaces if chewed can cause pets to become ill, logs contain sawdust and paraffins
Potpourris and air room fresheners can cause irritation to your pet's mouth, eyes, and skin
Keep candy and people food out of reach of pets, as many of these foods are toxic to pets

IN EVENT OF A FIRE CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY.


Add a Comment Add a Comment 0 Comment(s)


2021 Ambulance Calls
Jan 205
Feb 198
Mar 203
Apr 271
May 211
June
July
Aug
Sept
Oct
Nov
Dec
Total YTD 1088

Past Ambulance Calls
2020 2357
2019 2523
2015 2108
2013 1907
2011 2083

2021 Fiscal Year Fire Calls
Dec 124
Jan 77
Feb 79
Mar 88
Apr 93
May 85
Jun
Jul
Aug
Sep
Oct
Nov
YTD Total 546

Past Total Fire Calls
Year Fire Calls
2020 994
2018 1018
2017 964
2016 874
2015 861
2014 826
2013 744
2012 812
2011 784
2010 787
2009 795
2008 723
2007 693
2006 712

Web Counters
Website Visitors
Since
December 13, 2013
1,008,721
Visitors Today
Jun 23, 2021
250

Site
Website Designed and Hosted By: Content Proudly Maintained By: Contact Info:
Firehouse Solutions
www.FirehouseSolutions.com
Brandywine Hundred Fire Company
1006 Brandywine Blvd.
Wilmington DE 19809
Emergency Dial 911
Non-Emergency: 302-764-4901
Station Fax: 302-764-1267
E-mail: info@bhfc11.com
Copyright © 2021 Firehouse Solutions (A Service of Technology Reflections, Inc.)