Working Smoke Detectors Save Lives!
A properly installed, maintained and working smoke detector is your best defense to alerting you and your family of a fire and/or smoke conditions within your home. Working smoke detectors along with an emergency evacuation plan significantly increases your chances of surviving a fire in your home.
Smoke Detector Tips:
- Test each smoke detector monthly
- Replace batteries per manufacturers recommendations (a minimum of once a year)
- If the detector is chirping, this is a sign that the battery may need to be replaced
- Replace inoperable smoke detectors immediately
- Smoke detectors should be replaced with new detectors every ten years.
In addition to the basic type of smoke detectors, there are detectors that are specifically made to meet the needs of individuals that are hearing impaired. These specialty detectors use a strobe light in addition to the alarm to assist in alerting those individuals who are unable to hear the alarm from a standard smoke detector.
If you are in need of a new smoke detector, batteries for your detectors or assistance with installation please contact the station @ (302) 764-4901.