Holiday Safety Message
By Vice President Debra Finocchiaro
November 27, 2020

As the winter holidays are upon us the Officers and Members of Brandywine Hundred want to remind the community that keeping your home and your family safe is the best gift of all. Just a few simple tips to ensure a happy and fire-safe holiday season:

** Check Your Smoke Detectors To Ensure They Are Operational. **
If you are in need of a new smoke detector please contact the station immediately (302) 764-4901. **

Choose decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant
Consider using battery operated candles instead of real flame candles
Never leave lit candles unattended, do not place lit candles near decorations, home furnishings, or heat source
Live trees should be fresh and placement of tree in the home should be at least 3 feet away from any heat source
Tree should not be blocking an exit such as a door or window
Check the water in the tree stand daily, as live trees need adequate water
Never leave a lighted tree unattended

Follow manufacturer's instructions for the number of light strands you can safely connect together
Use lights that have a label or designation of a recognized testing laboratory.
Never use candles on a tree
Ensure light cords are in good condition, check for cracked or frayed wires along with broken bulbs
Never overload an electrical outlet or power strips and limit the number of extension cords
Some lights are only approved for indoor or outdoor use; verify the use of lights prior to installation
Unplug lighted decorations when you are not home

Keep children and flammable items away from stovetop when in use
Never leave your cooking unattended, have a responsible adult in the kitchen at all times while cooking
Exercise caution when handling hot food or liquids such as grease
Keep oven mitts, food packaging, kitchen towels, etc. away from your stove top area
Keep children and pets away from stove top area
Never use water to put out a grease fire

Water from the tree stand can be dangerous if ingested by your pet
Chewing on the needles of a tree can cause serious damage to a pet's digestive tract if swallowed
Ornaments, lights and tinsel if ingested can cause blockages or toxicity
Curious pets may chew on the electrical light cords which can cause burns
Seasonal plants such as poinsettias are poisonous to pets if ingested
Fire starter logs for fireplaces if chewed can cause pets to become ill, logs contain sawdust and paraffins
Potpourris and air room fresheners can cause irritation to your pet's mouth, eyes, and skin
Keep candy and people food out of reach of pets, as many of these foods are toxic to pets